Monday, June 16, 2008

Winning, Changes Everything!!!


14th June 2008 will surely be known as the most important date of 2008. Maybe even the most important date of many years to come. After more than 15 years of trying and failing, our boys finally did it, they brought home the gold!!!!

I've never been much of a football fan. I almost fell asleep at the first Maldives match of the SAFF championship. The only reason I didn’t was because I was at the stadium...and they were shouting real loud....who can sleep with them making such a racket huh?

And even in the final match, when people were making teams to watch football together, I got left out. Well I don’t really blame anyone; even I thought I would just be the party crasher at any football gathering. But even staying home alone, watching a little of the match...and chatting online a little....I was really psyched watching the match. I mean after all it was my country's team playing. Luckily I was watching the match when "2 kilo" scored the winning goal. The whole city exploded. Screams and drums could be herd all around. Even I shouted, even all alone in the sitting room. And when the match was finally over.....as my friend Arky said, we herd the true sound of a nation.

Now my misfortune of been all alone at home also meant I didn’t get to see any of the festivities of the night. I still regret that a lot. I hear it was awesome. I even saw a youtube video, I sooo wished I was there.

So the next day I had my fun.

I went out with Arky and his friends, the first part of the evening was a bit slow, but as more and more people started to travel the roads of male' it got more exciting. We walked the roads screaming at by passing motorcycle groups, pick-ups and Lorries filled with people. Finally we decided to go on a ride of our own. Even when my office called, I told them I had a headache...lol....no way I was leaving that fun and going to office. We waited near fizzes and tried to get a vehicle. But we had no luck getting one by calling for one. We waited for like more than half an hour, then finally we saw an empty pick-up coming with just about 6 or so people. We shouted for them to stop. What I saw next was awesome.....It was like a swarm of monkeys...we had like 18 people with us.....and we jumped over the side of a moving pick-up....well most of us did....I had to wait till it stopped hehe...I mean this was my first time even jumping over the side of a pick-up.

Then we travelled the roads of male' screaming and shouting and making various noises with dabiyas, and pot lids. I was one of the people with the loudest voices. We drove around for two hours. It certainly was very fun. We saw people singing on the streets....people dancing (I even jumped of the pick-up and joined the dancing for a while :D)...and even party's. We were screaming things like "mee aharemenge faharey, thangadey ah saabahey, 2 kilo ah saabahey, we are the champions, and even singing some songs....some that weren’t even related top football. It was all about making noise. By the time I came back home it was 11Pm and my voice was a bit sore.

I always thought our football team didn't have much in them. But they have certainly proved me wrong :D....they are now the heroes of the nation, everyone is praising them, pledging gifts to them. I'm also really happy they won. This is one of the most awesome things that have happened in a long time.

A most great thank you and congratulations from me to the Maldives national football team. You have united this nation as one, and have made us forget about our petty differences.
Lets keep This Up Shall we?

P.S. I know this will probably be the most common topic of posting these days, but I just had to post on this topic too. we beat this areas super power, both in football and many other ways. So no way even I, who almost fell asleep at the stadium, could miss writing about it.

No comments: