Saturday, June 28, 2008

My Inspiration...


If I was asked what influenced my life the most apart from my parents, I would definitely have to say television and video games. Yes I know, people say that movies and video games especially these days are a bad influence. Watching TV and playing video games rots your brains and leads to violence and bad behavior and shit.

Some weeks ago I caught something of interest as my dad was watching the recording of the parliamentary meeting. “In other country’s it has been seen that the youth become violent due to violent video games and such, we need to do necessary investigations and take the steps needed to prevent this”. My first thought was “Hey idiot, keep your damn politics out of my video games”. I would also be one of the first people on the streets if they ever took steps against video games. Anyway point is, video games as well as television has developed a bad reputation, or at least has become a scapegoat for the reason behind youth violence and behavior.

It is true that especially over the past years, both the television (and by television I mean everything from series, movies, anime, cartoons, reality shows etc.) and video games have become both graphically violent and immoral. Many a time have drug lords, smugglers, assassins and many other criminals been made the hero or heroine of games and movies. And the amount of violence has escalated from just gunshots to decapitations and torture. But come on, it doesn’t take an IQ of a 160 to figure out that all that is wrong. That’s its just television and games, and that is where all that should stay. You don’t play GTA and go out and steal a car or start a fight, or kill someone. Or play Need for Speed and go start racing on the streets. Or watch godfather and start selling drugs or extorting people. I disagree that movies and games affect us in a negative way. Only a person who already has serious moral issues would go and copy all the crap they see. Its parents and society who really shape who we are, I have played and watched a lot of this stuff, and so have my friends….you don’t see us out stealing cars or selling drugs do you? I aint saying there aint a few wack jobs out there, who are stupid enough to do all that, but for the most part people don’t go around doing that.

A lot of who I am today, my values, my beliefs, my character I credit to television and games. Especially during the 6 months holiday I got after I finished my O’ levels, I watched and played a lot, and I mean a LOT, and I still do. And I will have to say, they didn’t rot my mind or make my behavior worse. They made me think more, and made me a better person. They inspired me. Even from movies that had all these criminals as heroes, I saw many important things such as standing up for your friends, looking after your family, courage. And especially from those really inspirations films I saw honor, doing the right thing, patriotism, freedom. Even from games you do learn so much, all you have to know is where to look. I see that working hard pays of, and that bad guys always generally lose:P, and to keep fighting for what you believe in, never giving up and so much more. Well ya there are some games like GTA, which really doesn’t portray anything good, (But are as fun as hell to play :D) but I still don’t think even those games lead to violence. We are who we are, we are brought up by our parents and society, who are given the job of teaching us right and wrong, and once that foundation is solidly laid, you can watch a thousand indecent movies or play a hundred violent games, and it wouldn’t change a damn thing .

“I would burn in hell to keep you safe”
-One of my favorite lines from The Godfather movies, which Michael Corleone tells his daughter-

1 comment:

Aryj said...

i agree with you...even though im not much of a fan of video games...i do they r advantageous to an extent...and from that limit i think its just a waste of time...(waaiiit!! dont kill me yet!!!) :P i do agree on the fact that video games and movies broaden our views of the world..

it all depends on your perspective i guess..