Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Patriot


Today is a historical day for our country, the end of a 30 year old regime. But this post is not about how bad or good this change will be. Its about something I realized about myself, something that today I have accepted.
Patriotism has existed for a long time, people have achieved greatness in its name, while others have used it as an excuse to commit great atrocities, perhaps even convince themselves that those acts were needed.
Patriotism in essence means to love once country above all others. Above a specific government, above one's family, one's friends even one's self. But I wonder is it worth it to sacrifice even one's own family for the good of one's country. Its a different story if these people were acting directly against the country, but to simply hold the well been of the one's you love below ones country.
Today in this day of change, I have met different types of people, people who supported this change, people who accepted it, people who were willing to give it a try, and people who were "The new president is walking, he is the devil himself for doing that". I truly am not exaggerating about the last part, maybe not those exact words, but the same context had been used.
And what did I feel? Nothing...not a damn thing, not sad, not angry, not happy. And seen these people I have both decided and realized something, I love my country, I have I believe it can be so much better. And I truly hope that the new regime can achieve that. I never have and never will swear my allegiance to any government. I am a patriot, I have known this for sometime, but that word was hard to accept seen how it is used these days. I don't know how far I can carry that flag, above who all I can love my country, but I will give it my best try. I hope to achieve something great someday, and till then I will be watching, in hope that this country is now changing the better.

"Gentlemen may cry, Peace, Peace — but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President or any other public official save exactly to the degree in which he himself stands by the country. It is patriotic to support him insofar as he efficiently serves the country. It is unpatriotic not to oppose him to the exact extent that by inefficiency or otherwise he fails in his duty to stand by the country." - Theodore Roosevelt

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have been for long taught that patriotism means sticking with the countries leaders even though you feel they are wrong. It will take time to change it.I'm sure that a lot of people will feel that they should not criticize the new president even if its there right to so.

Crimson Solace said...

I am not saying they should not criticize the new president, they should, but only where criticism is due. The president taking a walk doesn't call for criticism.
And honestly I don't think patriotism really exists in this country anymore, there are mainly two types of people in that sense, those who blindly follow a person, and those who work for themselves.

Siyaasee Puppu said...

download anni's song for free at:

http://siyaaseepuppu.blogspot.com/2008/11/mohamed-nasheed-aka-annis-song-download.html